Journey to the world of Portuguese Fado as interpreted by Ramana Vieira, a northern California native of Portuguese descent. Vieira’s parents immigrated to the United States from Portugal, where her grandfather was a well-known musician and composer from Madeira Island.
Vieira’s work captures traditional Fado and influences from the Portuguese diaspora in a musical tapestry that ranges from the whispering, haunting ballads of Fado, to American classics and original creations. She also is a proficient pianist and a gifted songwriter having penned and composed her own original Fados, of which several have been nominated at the International Portuguese Music Awards. Her music has been featured on TAP Air Portugal. She has opened for the legendary Grammy artist out of Portugal, MARIZA and her song, Unido Para Amar was performed at the Winter Olympics in 2006. She has just released her fifth album, Tudo de Mim released on May 1, 2023 on all digital outlets.
As seen on Good Day Sacramento CBS TV on June 8th, 2023!
Welcome to our newest videos!
This song, Fado La La La reached the Ethnocloud charts of #3 top video in North America.
Most viewed video
Listen on Spotify
Ramana Vieira Highlights
• A New York Times feature on Fado mentions Vieira making her mark in the music world: “conservatory-trained singer Ramana Vieira adds a New Age sensibility and instrumentation to [Fado] with cello and drums.”
• Featured on Good Day Sacramento CBS T.V.
• Music featured on TAP AIR PORTUGAL
•Nominated for best Fado performance in 2016 with the International Portuguese Music Awards
• Vieira has shared the stage with Grammy-nominated Fadista Mariza.
• In 2010, Vieira received the honor of being invited to Macau, China to headline the huge “Encontro Festival,” where she wowed the audience during closing ceremonies and was chosen to appear on the front cover of the Macau Journal.
• Vieira’s original song “Unido Para Amar” was included in the video montage for the 2006 Winter Olympics
• Made an international debut on RPT TV Portuguese network Chosen to sing for the Grammy’s 50th Awards special MusiCares Benefit to honor Aretha Franklin
• Toured the East Coast including performances at New Bedford, MA’s Feast of The Blessed Sacrament – the largest Portuguese Festival in the world, plus a show at New York’s prestigious City Winery
• Nominated for the International Portuguese Music Awards in Two Categories, Best Fado and Best World Music song both featured on the site "Nem As Paredes Confesso and Cabo Verde.
• Performed for the President of the Azores Dr. Vasco Cordeiro Oct. 2015
The New York Times has recognized Vieira as an American at the forefront of the Fado resurgence. "The conservatory-trained singer Ramana Vieira adds a New Age sensibility and instrumentation of the music..." - New York Times Vieira has been described by Mundo Portugues newspaper as the “New Voice of Portuguese World Music.” Her original composition, “Unido Para Amar,” was played at the opening ceremony of the 2006 Winter Olympics. Recently, United States Congressman Jim Costa expressly invited Vieira to perform for the President of the Regional Government of the Azores, Portugal. Vieira has also headlined the largest Portuguese festivals in the world. She has received multiple International Portuguese Music Awards (IPMA) nominations for her original compositions.
Sign up to our newsletter and stay up to date
Don't worry, we won't send you too much content.
The New York Times has recognized Vieira as an American at the forefront of the Fado resurgence. "The conservatory-trained singer Ramana Vieira adds a New Age sensibility and instrumentation of the music..." - New York Times
“Ramana Vieira deserves a prominent place in the front rank of today’s Fado singers, you will feel transported to another place....maybe Bairro Alto, Lisbon... Ramana Vieira is a force in spreading awareness of Fado, having developed her style in California, abroad in Portugal, and listening to its many modes."
"Known as the Portuguese incarnation of the blues, Fado is characterized by mournful, haunting music full of longing and despair. Ramana Vieira of San Leandro, CA has been hailed as “the rising star in world music” by the San Francisco Examiner and noted for having “developed her style in California [and] abroad in Portugal” (Boston Globe). With prominent appearances on the world stage, Vieira has performed across the United States, Portugal and China."
“Ramana is a hidden gem which the world deserves to discover: Her music blends together the most unlikely basic components - Californian ease and carefree spirit, with stern, melancholy, ancient Portuguese ... and the result is a fascinating and unique style where Fado, Jazz, Groove, Ethereal, Blues, Salsa, Hip-Hop, Lounge, Classical and even Trance surprise you every time. She’s passionate and light, like a warm sunset!"
"If anyone can expand Fado’s audience and take the music from Portuguese dive bars to PBS specials, it’s Vieira."